Declaration for Geotherapy and Bioethics:
The following are the results of a panel discussion on May 17, 1991 at the Conference at Universite Claude Bernard in Lyons, France: Accelerating environmental degradation threatens the habitability of the biosphere. We believe that corrective action is possible and urgent.
- Our goal is long-term survival in an acceptably maintained ecosystem.
- We, as human beings, take full responsibility for our actions by not sacrificing natural resources for short term gains and by working to make the world a better living place.
- This choice will influence our biological and cultural evolution; we cannot avoid it without grave consequences.
- A global bio-ethic should further develop a guide and motivate geotherapy and our cultural evolution.
- A root problem is excessive demographic growth; the earth’s carrying capacity is being exceeded. With the present style patterns of development pollution of all kinds will increase as long as the population increases.
- We declare that scientists [people]* of all walks of life should adopt the aforementioned goals and participate in meeting at all levels to apply these principals.
*Suggestion from the artist Mara G. Haseltine change word scientist to all “people”
Citations & References:
- R. Grantham, 1992, Conference Report of the Lyon CNRS Colloquium on Modeling Geotherapy for Global Changes, Global Environmental Change, 2:66-67
- Grantham (1993) Reflections after the Lyon colloquium on Geotherapy and the Rio Earth Summit on Environment and Development, Global Bioethics, 6:1, 75-84
- V. R. Potter, 1990, Getting to the year 3000: Can global bioethics overcome evolution’s fatal flaw?, Perspectives in Biology and Medicine, 34:89-98
- Potter V.R. and Grantham 1992, Scientists Responsibility for the Survival of the Human Species, The Scientist 25 May, p 10 and 11
- Potter V.R. Bioethics,1971, Bridge to the Future, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., USA Prentice Hall p 24-27, p 107-117
- Link to Original Document for CNRS Confrence which coined the phrase Geotherapy Signed by Richard Grantham for 1991 in Lyon, FRANCE. http://www.soilcarbonalliance.org/2017/10/25/the-original-1991-geotherapy-proposal-to-reverse-global-climate-change/geotherapy_unced_1991/