Declaration for Geotherapy and Bioethics:
The following are the results of a panel discussion on May 17, 1991 at the Confrence at Universite Claude Bernard in Lyons, France:
- Accelerating environmental degradation threatens the habitability of the biosphere. We believe that corrective action is possible and urgent.
- Our goal is long-term survival in an acceptably maintained ecosystem.
- We, as human beings, take full responsibility for our actions by not sacrificing natural resources for short term gains and by working to make the world a better living place.
- This choice will influence our biological and cultural evolution; we cannot avoid it without grave consequences.
- A global bio-ethic should further develop a guide and motivate geotherapy and our cultural evolution.
- A root problem is excessive demographic growth; the earth’s carrying capacity is being exceeded. With the present style patterns of development pollution of all kinds will increase as long as the population increases.
- We declare that scientists [people]* of all walks of life should adopt the aforementioned goals and participate in meeting at all levels to apply these principals.